Daily check in June 29, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 29, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.

LogicsHere

Re: Daily check in June 29, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

We'll be in the low 80s today with sun in the morning and scattered thunderstorms expected later this afternoon. I looked at the next couple of days and it looks like there will be threats of storms almost every day except for Wednesday.

The phone calls I was participating in on Mondays have changed to the point where participating is difficult or almost impossible for me and now that she's changed its format from general conversation to topics, the topics she has chosen have been of no interest to me. I know I shouldn't close my mind to it, perhaps just sign in and listen while I do other things which I still might do, but honestly it's not really what I signed up for. Other than that I will be in spontaneous mode today.

I chose for today's "wacky day/holiday" "Waffle Iron Day". Today celebrates this great kitchen gadget. Did you know that waffles date back to the 1300s Greece? The Greeks cooked flat cakes between two metal pans. They were topped with cheeses and herbs. Pancake syrup wasn't around back then.

Waffles aren't just for breakfast; they're good for lunch or dinner, too.

So if you're lucky enough to have one of these handy gadgets, treat yourself to a nice fresh waffle today.

Have a great day.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

Logics, I have a chrome waffle iron from 1950 that was a wedding gift to my parents. I haven’t used it in a long time so will think of pulling it out.

Patty, I’m glad that you are enjoying Monk. I give Clem all the credit because I’m not sure I would have started watching without her love for the show. It is fun. If you haven’t seen it, here is a current clip with Tony Shaloub about Mr. Monk Stays at Home (Covid19). “We are all Monk now.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-tony-shalhoub-revive-his-monk-character-reveal-he-had-covid-19/ar-BB13ZgL1

I was in a funk yesterday, sick of being home but not wanting to go out in the heat. Today should be better. I’ll go to mom’s house and see what I can do. I will probably have to cut the grass at some point this week but we have not had any rain. No grass cutting today, however.

Yesterday I read an “intellectual” digital book from the library. Anyone watch the E! reality show The Girls Next Door about 15 years ago? I loved it but never read the tell-all book by one of the stars, Holly Madison. Holly is now doing YouTube makeup videos so that gave me the idea.

I’ve decided to wait on groceries since I’ve already spent a lot this month. Not really saving any money, just a bookkeeping adjustment but still.

Have a good day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

So the day is starting overcast and blah. The forecast is calling for rain and of course this is laundry day so it looks like clothes are going to be hung downstairs once again.

This will be a stick close to home and get things completed day. My boys are coming home and I need things spic and span for their arrival. I also need some baking so over the next few days I will be doing that. Thank heavens for some cooler days.

As far as frugal moves around the old homestead, well they will be the usual. I will also be working like mad to finish the one sock on my needles. I gave this month over to knitting socks and next month will be mitts (perhaps two months of mitts). This gives me focus and enables me to use up all (or at least some) of the leftover yarn and orphan balls that are suitable for the projects I am working on for that month.

My masks are almost finished, just have to sew the elastic loops shut and they are done. I will start pinning the top to one quilt together today. Just straight denim squares so I don't need to plan out a pattern. If I manage to get things done, well that will be a couple more items off this months project goal list.

Frugal exercise today will once again be walking. If the rain holds off outside, if not on the treadmill downstairs or perhaps a small jogging in place upstairs in front of the television. Though for that I need to look into purchasing a sports bra as the last time I tried it was not a very pleasant experience.

I am so sorry that all of you in Florida, Texas and Arizona are having such a rough time with the virus. Please look after yourself. Social distance, wear a mask and do what you need to do to stay healthy.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. I have some more frozen homemade condensed tomato soup and would like to get that used up very soon. Grilled cheese sandwiches to go along.

Joy today is in knowing our grass is getting a free watering.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Logics and all,

Love your calendar celebration days, Logics. A lot of fun and good learning. Yeah, know what you mean Logics about topics of no interest. I am changing my FB groups as well.

Today is grocery shopping day. We are low or out of some favorite foods. I am having to shop farther from home these days to get suitable foods. So I am ending up with more shopping treks during the week. Way too hot to be out and about after 11 am.

Today, I plan to work on organizing and storing my collection of plant pots. I will store them in the shed until I start the fall planting cycle in August/September. The Mexican peppers and the Roma like tomatoes are doing well in this heat, so there is always something to put on the table from the garden. I have dried some seeds for fall planting in case the seed shortage continues. I prefer to buy seeds from a reputable company because you get what you want. Whereas, seeds dried from garden plants may have crossed genetically with other varieties. But better those than no vegetables at all.

The weather people are predicting the extreme hot temperatures will moderate and thanks to the Sahara dust, the sunlight was dimmed most of the day and outside more tolerable. Unfortunately, the "blanket effect" of the dust is very little night time cooling. Technically the dust reduces radiate heat loss at night sort of like clouds do. Many temperate plants require a cool night to set fruit. So far, my Mexican plants seem unaffected. There is a potential for an African storm to slip in below the dust belt along the equator line, but the shear may reduce it to just a rain event. The Islands have been getting blown around a bit more than normal. Weather is interesting.

Today, I am grateful for my training in the sciences and my continued ability and willingness to learn. The world is less uncertain when science is applied. Have a good day all.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Weird day. Feeling restless. Maybe I should have gone walking but my family told me to stay home

Maybe will go tomorrow.

Think I posted that learned of another person in our town with the virus. This is getting crazy.

The COD supplied me with more surgical type masks. He's always buying them.

Hope people are not hoarding toilet paper again.

Lets see how today goes

Have a good one