Gotta love Thoreau...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Gotta love Thoreau...

Post by chocolite »

"I make myself rich by making my wants few." -- Henry David Thoreau

Here's another one as a freebie: "Money is a great servant but a bad master." -- Francis Bacon

I want to work on number one. I still have wants for things that don't even matter in the big picture...and sometimes after I accumulate the Big Thing (whatever it is), it doesn't even matter that much to me.

Just a Monday thought.
Patty

MackerelCat

Re: Gotta love Thoreau...

Post by MackerelCat »

Thoreau also said to beware of enterprises requiring new clothes, which has turned out to be true quite often in my life! I also like his saying about how he would rather sit on a pumpkin than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

I often think that he knew he would not live long -- he died young of tuberculosis -- seemed to help him sharpen his mind about what was important in life.
Mackie

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Was that his secret, you suppose? I've often thought of his solitude and been a little envious.
Patty

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I love Thoreau. My DDIL is a magazine editor and an author of a book on rare books. Thoreau is her absolute favorite. She has been to Waldon's Pond with my son and our granddaughters.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

You should check out the Appalachian Thoreau, Ole Bert Garner. I grew up less than a mile's hike from his cabin in the woods. Bert passed away shortly before I was born, but his cabin was still there during my childhood years. My dad and I would often visit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHjpkUhxwUs