Passport and/or real ID??

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Passport and/or real ID??

Post by icfrugal1 »

Do you have both or either?

DH and I both have passports, that need to be renewed in 2020.

I have mine, but so far we can't find his. I know that we can apply for a lost passport, but what a pain in the ### that will be :roll:

There is kiosk at the mall it will cost $184.00 for me to renew mine. That includes the photo ($14.00) and the fees ($110.00), so an extra $60.00 . At this point that may be worth it for me, otherwise I would have to make an app at the post office, who knows when I would be able to get one.

If we can't find DH's though we will have to make an appt for a lost one :(

Kind of silly, we don't go, and I am not planning to go anywhere, but since mine will be easy to renew, I'll renew mine.

what do you have? if I have a passport would I really need a Real ID???

Thank you

IC

floridacatlover

Re: Passport and/or real ID??

Post by floridacatlover »

I have a passport that expires in 2022.

My license, which also expires in 2022, is not a real ID. When I got it, I think I barely missed the requirement to present a SS card and birth certificate. Then I renewed it online after my wallet was stolen.

So I’m planning to use my passport as my RealID even for domestic flights at least until 2022.

I went to the Post Office for this passport. I had lost my previous passport (later found) and it was expired anyway. Going to the Post Office was a nightmare. Even with an appointment I had to wait several hours. The passport lady was the most unfriendly public servant I’ve ever run into in my life.

I recall that LittleMiss got her passport a few years ago and had a much easier time. I think she went to a courthouse or city hall so it may have been an official passport office. The closest passport office to me is Miami so the Post Office was my only option.

Good luck.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

You can get a passport card for $30 renewal. You can only use it for Canada and Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, but it is a Real ID, and proof of citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

My passport expires 8/21. I will renew it, as I did last time, even though I don't plan on leaving the country. A passport/card is the ONLY federal proof of US Citizenship.

My drivers license isn't a Real ID, and it expires in '22. I could get a new one, but I don't want to bother, since I have my passport and will renew it.

We won't be able to enter federal facilities without Real ID, which includes federal courthouses. I wonder if that includes federal prisons? I don't expect to enter either of those, but you never know!

What if the FBI takes me in for questioning! lol
ohjodi

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm
I have a passport that expires in 2022.

My license, which also expires in 2022, is not a real ID. When I got it, I think I barely missed the requirement to present a SS card and birth certificate. Then I renewed it online after my wallet was stolen.

So I’m planning to use my passport as my RealID even for domestic flights at least until 2022.

I went to the Post Office for this passport. I had lost my previous passport (later found) and it was expired anyway. Going to the Post Office was a nightmare. Even with an appointment I had to wait several hours. The passport lady was the most unfriendly public servant I’ve ever run into in my life.

I recall that LittleMiss got her passport a few years ago and had a much easier time. I think she went to a courthouse or city hall so it may have been an official passport office. The closest passport office to me is Miami so the Post Office was my only option.

Good luck.
What a great memory you have. However, I went to the post office and had my picture taken as well as filing the application. That was the first time I had ever had a passport and the postal employee that took care of me was wonderful. You don't need anything for ID other than your passport. My drivers license is getting ready to expire in September and eventho the State of Tennessee doesn't require anyone over the age of 65 to had their pictures on their license I am going to put mine on there. I don't want to carry that passport in my purse all the time.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, I did not know that about federal facilities and Real I.D. The whole thing has been confusing and I have been too financially squeezed to get a passport for ages.
Mackie

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I only got the Real I.D. as I don't plan on traveling outside of the U.S. again. If that should change I can always apply for a new passport as mine had expired decades ago.