Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

Post by SandiSAHM »

frugalmom wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
I was looking at freezers and they have been gone and out of stock for a long time. I check periodically to see. Do you have a freezer? Do you like the standing kind or the horizontal chest freezers better and why? Which one really fits more? I don't want to really dig through a chest freezer but I read some think it is better?

Now it is kind of worrisome that they have been out for so long and if everyone is getting them, am I behind the eight ball? I prepared or so I thought and have two small freezers fully stocked but ran out of room and now with meat shortages and prices tripling out here, I worry I am still not prepared enough!? I wanted to
get through at least the winter without having to go out!

I just went to Walmart yesterday (although once they go to self-checkout only I will boycott them-just for the principle) and prices actually are TRIPLE than they have been in the past on many of the items I usually buy.

So what should I do if we cannot get a freezer?! And does canned meat even taste palatable?
I have a standing freezer (no meat though, vegetarian) and love it. My parents had a horizontal chest freezer and it was a PITA to find anything in there - and that was with a hyper-organized mom running it; I can't imagine if my average-organized self tried to keep a chest freezer straight.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have a chest because in my opinion it keeps things colder and doesn't loose air as easily. It is organized with bins on the ower level and large plastic shopping nags on the upper level that easily pull out. One for frozen veggies, one for bread and rolls and so on. The bins of meat are in the bottoom.by type. We don't actually freeze many cooked meals. I.also have a bottom freezer in my large fridge.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I had a chest freezer for years. I replaced it with the biggest upright I could get at the time. Chest freezers are more efficient energy wise, but if you are not a tall person you may have problems reaching things. I always did. I had everything broken up into baskets, marked and inventoried but I dreaded going down for food because I would end up leaning over grasping for things with my feet off the floor. I always had visions of tumbling head first into the freezer and the lid slamming down. Not likely - but I hated it.

I love my upright - it is easy to organize and also easy to defrost. I will give one piece of advice and most will not like it but if you get a new freezer do not get frost free. It will cut the length of time an item is preserved significantly. The defrosting process involves a fan running warmer air over surfaces - that includes the food package surfaces. So they will slightly thaw and refreeze and you will get freezer burn.
Manual defrosting is not fun -but it really takes only about 15-25 minutes and then you are done and your freezer life for things will more than double.

My upright is 20 cubic feet but since I used to garden extensively and because we bought a half cow, we needed the room. Even though we don't do that any longer, I still stock up on sales and I like having room. I think my freezer has paid for itself multiple times over the years.

If you want a good giggle - watch this lady's set up on you tube. She runs it on solar - but she has 7 freezers. It is amazing to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq8NN-teoPA

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

frugalmom wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
I was looking at freezers and they have been gone and out of stock for a long time. I check periodically to see. Do you have a freezer? Do you like the standing kind or the horizontal chest freezers better and why? Which one really fits more? I don't want to really dig through a chest freezer but I read some think it is better?

Now it is kind of worrisome that they have been out for so long and if everyone is getting them, am I behind the eight ball? I prepared or so I thought and have two small freezers fully stocked but ran out of room and now with meat shortages and prices tripling out here, I worry I am still not prepared enough!? I wanted to
get through at least the winter without having to go out!

I just went to Walmart yesterday (although once they go to self-checkout only I will boycott them-just for the principle) and prices actually are TRIPLE than they have been in the past on many of the items I usually buy.

So what should I do if we cannot get a freezer?! And does canned meat even taste palatable?
I miss my freezer. My Son and DIL have it now. The last one we had was an upright. I liked it better than the chest freezer before. Ex-DH was Heating and Air and often told me that Chest freezers were slightly more efficient because when you open the upright, the cold all falls out. (Cold air sinks). But when we talked about he was quite Ok with getting the upright. (The chest freezer stopped running.

Since it is just me, I don't eat a whole lot of meat. And I eat more Turkey and fish, but very little beef or pork. Turkey prices have not risen like red meat. So I just adjust my budget.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

colonialgirl wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm
I had a chest freezer for years. I replaced it with the biggest upright I could get at the time. Chest freezers are more efficient energy wise, but if you are not a tall person you may have problems reaching things. I always did. I had everything broken up into baskets, marked and inventoried but I dreaded going down for food because I would end up leaning over grasping for things with my feet off the floor. I always had visions of tumbling head first into the freezer and the lid slamming down. Not likely - but I hated it.

I love my upright - it is easy to organize and also easy to defrost. I will give one piece of advice and most will not like it but if you get a new freezer do not get frost free. It will cut the length of time an item is preserved significantly. The defrosting process involves a fan running warmer air over surfaces - that includes the food package surfaces. So they will slightly thaw and refreeze and you will get freezer burn.
Manual defrosting is not fun -but it really takes only about 15-25 minutes and then you are done and your freezer life for things will more than double.

My upright is 20 cubic feet but since I used to garden extensively and because we bought a half cow, we needed the room. Even though we don't do that any longer, I still stock up on sales and I like having room. I think my freezer has paid for itself multiple times over the years.

If you want a good giggle - watch this lady's set up on you tube. She runs it on solar - but she has 7 freezers. It is amazing to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq8NN-teoPA
Holy cow!!!! I just googled that lady. How big is her family?

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I am in the process of buying one right now. Lowe's still has plenty of them in stock here. Used ones you can't find anymore, my appliance guy tells me that he sells them as fast as they hit his store and aren't even cleaned up yet. I am on his waiting list, but I don't have much hope. I want a small upright, I do know that the chest type are more efficient, but I am short and I want to be able to easily get something out of the freezer and not have to dig.

I have a quarter side of beef coming the first or second week in September, so I've got a little more time. I do have a nice freezer on my side by side and another one on the top of my refrigerator in the garage. It's full of butter, premade dinners from leftovers, soups that I have made, meat and veggies'. I think one pays for itself in a short period of time if prices continue to rise the way they have the last 2-3 months.
Last edited by littlemiss63 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.