Tired of getting chewed up by mosquitoes? Take care of the problem by making your own bug repellent bars. They don’t have any of the nasty chemicals that you’ll find in store-bought repellents, and they work just as well (plus they’re good for your skin, too):
How to Make Bug Repellent Bars
What You’ll Need:
Beeswax (pellets or bars)
A solid oil (shea butter, cocoa butter, shortening, etc.)
A liquid oil (olive, coconut, almond, canola, etc.)
Bug Off essential oil (a blend of nine essential oils that repel mosquitoes)
A soap mold
What You Do:
Measure out equal amounts of beeswax, solid oil and liquid oil by weight. I used two ounces each of beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil.
Heat the three ingredients in a double boiler, until they’re completely melted. (A Pyrex measuring cup in a pot of boiling water works perfectly for this.)
Pour the melted ingredients into soap molds. Add several drops of Bug Away essential oil to each bar (I used seven drops). Then, stir to combine.
Let the bars harden for several hours. Then, pop them out of their molds, and they’re ready to use. They’ll be a bit soft the first day, but will continue to harden over the next several days.
Simply rub the bar over your skin anytime you’re going to be outside, and reapply as needed. The essential oils will keep the mosquitoes away and the oils will moisturize your skin.
- Essential oils lose their potency over time, so make a small number of bars, and keep them in a sealed container when they’re not in use. I like to keep mine in a travel soap container
- Already have a nice collection of essential oils? Lavender, sandalwood, lemongrass, cedarwood, citronella, eucalyptus, catnip, patchouli and tea tree oil all repel mosquitoes. Create your own “Bug Off” blend instead of buying one
- Prefer bug spray? Here’s my recipe for a homemade version
- The beeswax and oils used in this recipe can also be used to make lotion bars and lip balm
- Essential oils should never be applied to the skin full strength
More Bug Repellent Recipes
This video shows you how to make my bug repellent bars, sticks and bug spray.