This spice cake mix makes a spice cake that is wonderfully fragrant and flavorful. Keep a jar in your pantry, so you can quickly whip one up whenever a craving strikes.
Spice Cake Mix
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
3 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
What You Do:
Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, use your cake mix right away, or store it in an air-tight container for later. It fits in a quart jar perfectly.
Tip: Spoon the flour into your measuring cups, instead of using your measuring cups to scoop it out. Scooping will put extra flour in the recipe, and your cake won’t come out as light and fluffy.
Free Printable Spice Cake Mix Labels
Here are some free, printable labels that you can use to label your spice cake mix. The back label includes all of the baking instructions for easy reference.
If it’s a mix that I plan to keep in my pantry on an ongoing basis, I print my labels on vinyl sheet. This makes the labels waterproof, and allows me to wash the jar each time I empty it.
Printing to vinyl is just as easy as printing to regular label stock, but if you have a laser printer, take a minute to look up the fuser temperature in your owners manual to make sure the vinyl you’re ordering is rated to withstand that temperature.
I recommend using a jar with smooth sides, so the label goes on well. Ball sells a smooth quart jar that I’ve been using for my mixes. You’ll find them at just about any craft store.
If you’re using Google’s Chrome browser, our printables may not print properly. Click here for printing help.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients together, until well combined. Then, use right away, or store in an air-tight container.
- Use in place of one box of store-bought spice cake mix.
How to Use Your Cake Mix:
You can use your homemade cake mix in any recipe that calls for a box of spice cake mix. Just add a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract to the recipe, and it should turn out great.
Cost to make: $1.31 (less if you buy your ingredients on sale)
Here’s how to use your mix to make a spice cake from scratch.
Spice Cake Recipe
This recipe will make (1) 13×9″ cake or (2) 8×8″ or 9×9″ cakes.
Use my Pan Substitutions Chart to look up other pan sizes that will work.
1 homemade spice cake mix
1 stick butter, softened
3 large eggs, beaten
1-1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
What You Do:
Place the cake mix in a mixer (or mixing bowl). While I made mine in a mixer, there’s no reason you can’t make it by hand.
Cut the butter into small pieces, and add it to the mixer. Let it run until it’s well incorportated.
Add the eggs and vanilla, and continue mixing.
Then, slowly add the milk, and mix just until the batter comes together. If you want to keep the cake light and fluffy, it’s important not to overwork the batter.
Butter and flour your cake pan(s). Then, pour the batter into the pan(s), and bake in a 350 degree oven. Allow 30 minutes for a 13″x9″ cake, and 28 minutes for 8″x8″ or 9″x9″ cakes. Your cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow your spice cake to cool. Then, top it with your favorite frosting. I recommend this cream cheese frosting.Print
- 1 My Frugal Home Spice Cake Mix (see website for recipe)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Dump cake mix into mixing bowl.
- Cut up butter, and work it into the mix.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl; add the vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to your batter. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add milk, and stir just long enough to bring everything together.
- Butter and flour your cake pan(s).
- Pour your batter into your pan(s).
- Bake at 350. 28 minutes for 8×8 or 9×9 cakes. 30 minutes for a 13×9 cake. Your cake is done, when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool all the way before frosting.
- Makes (1) 13×9 cake, or (2) 8×8 or 9×9 cakes.
You can also use this spice cake mix to make a mug cake. This video shows you how.