- Tomato sauce, tomato paste, pizza sauce or fresh tomatoes
- From Tomato Sauce: Substitute with an equal amount. If time allows, heat it on the stove to thicken it slightly.
- From Tomato Paste: Combine 1/3 cup tomato taste + 2/3 cups water, to replace 1 cup puree.
- From Pizza Sauce: Replace 1:1
- From Fresh Tomatoes: Roughly chop 1-1/2 lbs tomatoes for every 2 cups of tomato puree called for. Toss into a pot, and bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tomatoes start to break down. Let cool; then, run through a food mill or sieve to remove the seeds and peels. Pulse in a blender, until smooth. If your puree doesn’t seem thick enough, return it to the stove, and cook it down further. For the best results, use a plum tomato, like Roma. Other tomatoes will work too, but may require additional cook time.
(1) 28-oz. can = 4 cups tomato puree.
*Nutrition facts are based on using no-salt added tomato sauce as the substitute.
.25 cup50.7 g2.2 mg0.1 g1.1 g0.2 g0 mg